Having had the support of massive air, artillery and naval bombardment the landings began in the early morning of 3rd September 1943. The 8th Army was invading mainland Europe four years, to the day, after the British had declared war on Germany.
Apart from some craft landing in the wrong places the assault troops landed without difficulty and with little hindrance from the enemy. By the evening of D+1 the landing of supplies had gone so well that the build-up was 1½ days ahead of schedule.
86 Lines of Communication Area again provided the administration headquarters for co-ordinating work in the beach maintenance areas. It was fully established in Reggio by 5th September (D+2). The phase of maintenance over the beaches was intense but, as always intended in these operations, relatively short. The Beach Bricks gradually became redundant as the conventional Lines of Communication organisation became established.
The first ships arrived in Reggio on 6th September and an Army Roadhead was established there. Porto S. Venere opened as a seahead on the 9th (operated by 20 Beach Group after a landing there on the 8th) and another Army Roadhead opened at Vibo Valencia. 86 L. of C. Area moved to Crotone on the 14th and on the 15th when the first ships arrived at Crotone, the main H.Q. of 8th Army was established in Vibo Valentia.
In October 1943, with no further operations imminent, a reorganisation of R.A.F. beach units in the Mediterranean was being planned and in November the R.A.F Components of Beach Bricks were disbanded.